ALL WORKSHOPS & TUITION IN 20221 December 2021 - 31 December 2022
Due to COVID. at the moment I have no workshops planned for 2022.
If you are interested in booking one-to-one tuition or would like to talk about a weekend break including tuition and firing please contact me to discuss.
Due to Covid19 I have had to cancel this workshop
This is a all day experience (10am - 4.30pm) and is aimed at all levels from complete beginners to those with experience (previous attendees very welcome). My workshops are run very informally in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere giving a freedom to experience and learn more about this exciting firing technique. The numbers will be kept low (6-12 students) so that everyone gets as much from the day as possible my aim is to have all students going away with 4-5 meduim sized pieces*.
Following 2019 format I will again be running three one day back to back workshops (Friday/Saturday and Sunday) for those that can not get enough Raku you can book two days or even three days at a discounted rate (multiple days only in same weekend).
1 Day = £90
2 Days = £160
3 days = £210
RAKU (happiness through chance)
This fascinating technique originates from Japan and is a fast low firing process with the end results achieved by manipulating chemical and physical properties within the ceramic body and the glaze by introducing the work to different elements during the cooling process. The results that my techniques will give you range from bright crackled glazes through to a deep copper luster set off against the black of unglazed areas.
Outline Plan of the Day
I always start the workshop with a ‘get to know’ each other session that gives us all chance to get to know each other, this will comprise of:-
- About the raku firing and my technique
- Prepare glazes (if not already done)
- About glazes (colors, effects, warnings, how to use)
- Tools and tips (masking, waxing etc.)
- Introduction to the kiln(s) (construction, features, kiln safety, general safety)
- Turning kilns on low ready for first firings
- Q&As about above
Once this is done and we are all ready to start
- Experience students can get going
- Beginners will be given instruction and guidance
- Start glazing
For those booking more than day, following days you can continue glazing and I will be around to answer questions and give advise but you need not be involved in initial talk and instructions, so you can get a whole day of glazing and firing.
I fire the kiln(s) once enough work is ready – it is not a race and as each firing takes a total of about 50 minutes it’s always good to see the results of the first glaze especially for beginners. Firings will continue throughout the day as required and I will be available to guide and instruct.
I aim to have the last firing at 3pm so that we can all get together once completed so we can tidy up and we can all review the results of our days firing and everyone has a chance to ask questions.
Participants will need to bring Bisque fired work or small pots and bowls can be supplied at £5 per pot (please indicate when booking if you will require pieces to fire).
I can assure you, you will enjoy the day and will be inspired by the fantastic firing technique that is RAKU.
BOOKING FORM [Download]
* PLEASE NOTE - So that all students get the best out of the day It may not be possible to fire large pieces. If you are wanting to have large or a high volumes of work fired please let me know so that special arrangements can be made, this will be subject to additional charges. Alternatively it maybe easier and more benificial to book a 'one to one' session.
← Back to Courses